Cheeses from Stowe, Morrisville, Craftsbury Common, Greensboro and Waitsfield won major prize at the prestigious American Cheese Society’s 36th annual awards competition in Richmond, Va.
Vermont producers, big and small, took home more honors than ever before: 44 ribbons, and five Vermont cheeses were finalists for the Best of Show.
The contest drew more that 2,000 entries; 25 Vermont companies submitted cheeses to be judged.
Among the Vermont winners:
• Cate Hill Orchard, Craftsbury Common: Vermanchego, 2nd.
• Jasper Hill Farm, Greensboro: Cave Aged Cheddar, 1st, and Best of Show finalist in collaboration with Cabot Creamery Cooperative; Alpha Tolman, 1st, Cabot Clothbound, 3rd in collaboration with Cabot Creamery Cooperative, Bayley Hazen Blue, 3rd Place; Calderwood, 3rd, Hartwell, 3rd; Winnimere, 3rd; Little Hosmer, 3rd.
• Mount Mansfield Creamery, Morrisville: Starr, 1st in collaboration with Sage Farm Goat Dairy, Stowe.
• Sage Farm Goat Dairy, Stowe: Starr, 1st in collaboration with Mount Mansfield Creamery, Morrisville; Spruce, 1st; Smoked Chevre, 2nd; Morse Camembert, 2nd
• von Trapp Farmstead, Waitsfield, Mad River Blue, 1st.
• Cabot Creamery Cooperative, Cabot: Cabot Founders Private Stock, 1st; Cabot Centennial, 1st; Cabot Garlic & Herb (New York), 1st; Old School Cheddar, 2nd; McCadam Brick Muenster (New York), 2nd; Cabot Salted Butter (Massachusetts), 3rd.