Vermont utilities are reminding customers that help is available for those struggling to pay existing and past bills. Vermonters financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic can apply for two grant programs for renters and homeowners to help with overdue utility bills. Customers may be eligible for tens of thousands of dollars through these programs, and should apply now before money runs out.

The Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program provides federal grant money for qualified renters to help pay past due and ongoing utility bills and rent. Learn more and apply at or call 833-488-3727.

The Vermont Homeowner Assistance Program provides federal grant money for qualified homeowners to help pay up to $30,000 of past due utility bills, mortgage and association fees. Learn more and apply at or call 833-221-4208.

Customers who have past due arrearages are encouraged to apply through for one of the programs or contact their utility directly to set up a payment plan. Contact information is available at each of the utilities’ websites:

• Vermont Electric Co-Op,

• Washington Electric Co-Op,

• Burlington Electric Department,

• VGS,

• Green Mountain Power,

• Hyde Park Electric,

• Stowe Electric,

Customers of Hardwick Electric Department, Johnson Water & Light Department, Lyndonville Electric Department, Morrisville Water & Light and Orleans Electric Department can visit for utility contact information.

Utility not listed? Visit for more information.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexual language.
Don't threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be proactive. Use the "Report" link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.